It's time to start thinking of back-to-school shopping. Don't hit the panic button on how you'll get it all done just yet. DECU can help you get there with a back-to-school loan. We've also put together a few tips to save some extra money.
- Take inventory of the supplies you already have. You might find many forgotten items that can be used again this year.
- Have your child try on clothes from last year. While they try on, make a list of the things that need to be replaced. You could also ask other parents if they'd participate in a clothing swap.
- Compare prices before shopping. Some stores might be running sales on different items. Shopping around could help you save a ton.
- Check the list before you head out to the stores. Some schools will supply some items, especially technology devices.
- Buy backpacks with prevention in mind. Most kids want a superhero backpack or favorite character. But parents should look for backpacks with wide padded shoulder straps and padded backs to help prevent injury from the supplies students will carry.
- Do research on deals. Some states even offer a sales tax break for a few days in August to help parents save.
- Use apps on your smartphone to help you get the best deals.
- Buy for durability. It might be tempting to spend less on items but spending a little more on quality will help the supplies last for more than a year.