Fresh Start Checking
How do I balance my checkbook?
- Online Resources
- Apps for iPhone & Android
- Balance My Checkbook
- Simple Checkbook Ledger
- Manual Balancing Tips
- Record ALL your transactions
- Compare your transactions to your account statement
- Make sure all entries listed on your account statement are accounted for in your checkbook
- If at first you don’t succeed, recalculate
- DECU also offers assistance to help with checkbook balancing for a fee of $40 per hour
Do you offer any programs to make balancing my check book easier?
- The Spare Change Round Up program is a great tool to help you SAVE & makes it EASIER to balance your checkbook
- Rounds your debit card purchase up to the next $1.00. For example:
- Groceries $24.25 per your receipt
- Groceries $25.00 reflected in your statement
- The extra .75 will go to a savings account
What if I accidentally overdraw my checking account?
- The item that overdrew your account will be returned and your account will be charged a $27 fee per item
- After 5 days of being overdrawn, a $5 daily fee will be assessed until your account is no longer negative
- If you have money in your savings, DECU will transfer those funds to cover the overdraft for a fee of $4
How does my debit card work?
- You can use your card 2 different ways
- Debit – Use your PIN number
- Automatically clears your account
- Allows you to receive cash back
- $500 daily limit
- 5 times in one month for purchases and ATM withdrawals (foreign ATM) before a $1.50 fee is charged
- Credit- Do not use your PIN number
- Holds are placed against your account taking the funds from your available balance
- No daily limit
- Gas will typically only hold $1 so make sure the total purchase amount is accounted for in your account balance
How do I keep my Debit Card Number & PIN (Personal Identification Number) safe?
- Check your account periodically to make sure you recognize the transactions & amounts clearing your account
- If something seems to be off, please do not hesitate to call us or stop in
- Don’t SHARE your PIN number with anyone and don’t write it down
- Pick something no one else would guess
- Stay away from Last 4 of SSN, Birthdays, Street Numbers
What happens if someone does get ahold of my card?
- Contact DECU immediately
- DECU can report your card lost/stolen so no one else can use it
- If we happen to be closed, call 1-800-449-7728 to report your card lost/stolen
- If there is fraudulent activity, you need to file a dispute(s) within 60 days of the original transaction date to get your money back.